Learning Grid SIG
SWEL'07 @ AIED'07:
Ontologies and Semantic Web Services for Intelligent Distributed Educational Systems
Darina Dicheva, Winston-Salem State University, USA
Ontologies and Semantic Web Standards for e-Learning
Riichiro Mizoguchi, University of Osaka, Japan
Nicola Capuano, University of Salerno, Italy
Semantic Grid Architectures and e-Learning Services
Andreas Harrer, University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany
SWEL'07 Workshop Proceedings (
pdf file )
SWEL'07 Workshop Photos
This workshop will focus on Semantic Web based knowledge representation, Grid technologies, engineering
approaches and methods for the design, development and experimentation of intelligent distributed educational systems.
It will discuss issues related to the use of ontologies, Semantic Web standards, distributed processes and systems enabled
by Grid technologies for learning content delivery, services and knowledge components specification, effective intelligent
courseware construction, and learner modeling.
SWEL'07 is the fifth in the series. This edition has a special focus on service oriented Semantic Grid
Architectures for e-Learning and is organized together with two Special Interest Groups of the European
Network of Excellence Kaleidoscope: Artificial Intelligence and
Education, and Learning Grid.
The workshop goals are:
- To discuss the current state-of-the-art
in using ontologies and Semantic Web and Grid methodologies, technologies and
standards in intelligent and distributed educational systems.
- To attract the interest of the related
research communities to the problems in adaptive educational
hypermedia and serve as an international platform for knowledge
exchange and cooperation between researchers.
Workshop topics of interest include, but are not restricted, to:
- Session on Ontologies and Semantic Web Standards for e-Learning
Building ontologies for e-learning: ontology development; theoretical issues in ontology engineering.
Using ontologies and Semantic Web standards for structuring, representing,
indexing, and retrieving shareable and interoperable learning resources (including individual and community-based
- Using ontologies and Semantic Web standards for supporting authoring of intelligent educational systems.
- Using Semantic Web-based contexts for adaptation and personalization of e-learning applications.
- Towards Semantic Web-based Educational standards: new ideas, extending/mapping of existing ones, etc.
- Real-world systems, case studies and empirical research for Semantic Web-based educational systems.
- Session on Semantic Grid Architectures and e-Learning Services
- Semantic Grid architectures and systems for distributed intelligent e-learning.
- Models and tools for the semantic annotation of e-learning services.
- Methods and systems for the automatic composition of semantically described services and processes.
- Pedagogical approaches and learning models for exploiting the potential of distributed and Grid technologies for learning.
- Application scenarios for dynamic composition of distributed learning services using AIED and GRID technologies and techniques.